Do we service
your area?
  • |
  • |
  • If You Are Sued for a Consumer Debt, Don't Panic, Call Us

If You Are Sued for a Consumer Debt, Don't Panic, Call Us

This is happening around the United States and even here in Houston – debt collection agencies are buying up consumer debt, then filing hundreds of thousands of lawsuits against ordinary citizens.

According to a story in the Houston Chronicle, a 57 year old woman in Minnesota was arrested while driving home from her mother’s late at night and taken to jail. No one would tell her why she was arrested and she spent a terrifying night in jail with criminals.

The following morning –after she was fingerprinted– she was told that she had missed a court hearing over an unpaid debt.

How is this possible, you wonder? There has been no debtors prison in the United States since the 19th century. Yet hard-working  people who have fallen on hard times are actually spending time in jail for unpaid debts.

Debt buyers are purchasing unpaid debts from cell phone companies or credit card companies and the like for pennies on the dollar, then sending out debt collection notices.

Sometimes the debt is several years old, the person has moved, the mail never reaches them. Other times, after receiving possibly hundreds of debt collection notices, people tend to ignore them. Lost among those hundreds of papers may be a notice to appear in court. Miss the court date, and an arrest warrant may soon follow.

Don’t let this happen to you. The federal bankruptcy laws are there to help you. Bankruptcy can give you a fresh start, and protection from the harassment of lawsuits due to unpaid debts. Filing for bankruptcy can often get rid of lawsuits associated with unpaid debts and they can never bother you again for those debts.

Keeling Law Firm has been helping Houstonians with debt relief and debt counseling since 1986. We have helped thousands of Houstonian to get a “Fresh Start” and get on with their lives.

If you find yourself overwhelmed with debt and creditor threats call us now for a free consultation, or fill out the simple contact form. We can help.